Thursday, August 06, 2009

Coltrane


My Dad produced a lot of John Coltrane recordings. Pretty much everything on IMPULSE! I don't know the actual number, but I'd say that in the six plus years they worked together, they must have recorded at least four albums a year. A lot of the records were never released during Coltrane's lifetime. Fact is, Dad used to hide the sessions from ABC, Impulse's parent company. They thought it was ridiculous that Coltrane was making all these records in the first place... But they let my Dad run the label and he saw fit to let John go in the studio whenever he wanted to go. Pretty amazing collaboration. Don't see that anymore!

Here is a track from the album Meditations. I offer this for no specific reason. It just came up on my iTunes and I'm trying to blog as much as I can to make this a habit...

Compassion

No comments: